Five Lessons From Completing a Customer Service Specialist Apprenticeship in the Civil Service.
When I started my Customer Service Specialist apprenticeship, I knew I would learn more about customer service.
What I didn't fully appreciate was how much I would learn about myself.
There were assignments to complete, conversations with my coach, workplace learning, evidence to gather and, eventually, the final assessment. All of that was happening alongside the normal responsibilities of work and life.
Some parts went really well.
Some didn't.
And looking back now that I have completed the apprenticeship, I think the parts that challenged me probably taught me just as much as the parts I found easier.
I've previously written about succeeding during an apprenticeship, overcoming challenges and what life can look like after completion. This time, I wanted to strip things back and share five lessons I personally took away from the experience.
Nothing complicated. Just things I learned along the way.
1. Good customer service starts with listening.
This sounds obvious. I probably would have said I understood it before starting the apprenticeship.
But there is a difference between hearing someone and actually listening to understand them.
Working in a structured public-service environment taught me that the first thing somebody asks for isn't always the real issue that needs resolving.
- Sometimes you need to slow the conversation down.
- Ask another question.
- Check your understanding.
- Look at the situation from their side.
- And only then start thinking about the solution.
The apprenticeship made me much more conscious of this.
Customer service isn't simply about being polite or giving somebody an answer quickly. It's about understanding what they actually need while balancing that with what is possible, appropriate and fair.
I've carried that lesson beyond customer service too.
Listening properly changes the way you work with people.
2. Taking ownership means being able to explain your decisions.
This was a big one for me.
In a workplace, we naturally talk about what “we” did.
- We dealt with the issue.
- We found a solution.
- We helped the customer.
But during an apprenticeship assessment, particularly when discussing your own competence, “we” doesn't always tell the full story.
I had to become much better at explaining:
- What did I do?
- Why did I choose that approach?
- What other options did I consider?
- What was the outcome?
- What did I learn from it?
That changed the way I thought about accountability.
Taking ownership isn't about claiming all the credit. It's about understanding your own contribution well enough to explain and stand behind your decisions.
I still find myself thinking this way now.
Instead of simply asking, “Was the problem solved?”, I also ask myself, “What was my contribution, and what can I learn from how I handled it?”
That's a habit I hope I keep.
3. Feedback can be uncomfortable and still be useful.
My apprenticeship journey wasn't a straight line from enrolment to completion.
There was a point during my final assessment when I hadn't demonstrated one of the required areas clearly enough.
That meant I had to go back and do part of it again.
Was I delighted about that?
Of course not. 😄
I'd worked hard and naturally wanted everything to go right the first time.
But once the disappointment settled, I had to make a decision.
I could spend my energy being frustrated about the outcome, or I could look carefully at the feedback and ask:
What is this telling me?
So I went back to it.
I looked again at my examples. I thought more carefully about what made the situations complex. I became clearer about my own actions, my reasoning and the responsibility I had taken.
Then I returned to the assessment better prepared.
And I passed.
Looking back, that experience gave me one of the most valuable lessons of the whole apprenticeship:
Feedback isn't always comfortable, but discomfort doesn't make it useless.
Sometimes the feedback you least wanted to receive becomes the feedback you most needed to grow.
4. You don't have to know everything — but you do need to keep learning.
Completing an apprenticeship alongside everyday responsibilities taught me something about learning as an adult.
There is rarely a perfect time for it.
Work continues.
Life continues.
Responsibilities continue.
And somewhere among all of that, you're trying to develop yourself too.
There were times when I had to revisit things I thought I understood. There were questions I needed to ask. There were areas where somebody else's experience was greater than mine.
I've become much more comfortable with that.
Professionalism isn't pretending to know everything.
Sometimes professionalism is saying:
- I need to understand this better.
- Can you explain that to me?
- What can I learn from this person?
- Where can I improve?
The apprenticeship may be finished, but I don't want that mindset to finish with it.
In fact, one of the biggest things I have taken from the experience is a stronger appetite for continuous learning.
A certificate confirms that you completed something.
It doesn't mean you have completed learning.
5. Success becomes more meaningful when you help somebody else.
When you're in the middle of an apprenticeship, understandably, you're focused on getting through your own journey.
- Your evidence.
- Your deadlines.
- Your development.
- Your assessment.
- Your result.
But after completing mine, something gradually changed.
- I started thinking more about other apprentices.
- The person who might be struggling with confidence.
- The person who has just received disappointing feedback.
- The person approaching their final assessment and wondering whether they're ready.
- Or even the person considering an apprenticeship and wondering whether they can actually do it.
I don't have every answer.
But I do have my experience.
And perhaps that's enough to help somebody else with one part of their journey.
That's one reason I've become increasingly interested in apprenticeship communities, professional development conversations and opportunities to share what I've learned.
There is something quite satisfying about moving from:
“Who can help me?”
to:
“Who can I help?”
For me, that's part of life beyond the apprenticeship.
The certificate wasn't the biggest lesson.
Of course I am proud to have completed my Level 3 Customer Service Specialist apprenticeship.
There was a point during the journey when simply reaching the end felt like the main objective.
Now that I have reached it, I see things slightly differently.
The certificate matters.
But so does the person who came through the process.
- I learned to listen better.
- I learned to take greater ownership of my decisions.
- I learned that feedback doesn't have to feel good to be valuable.
- I learned to become more comfortable with not knowing everything.
- And I learned that knowledge becomes more meaningful when we share it.
Perhaps that's what a good apprenticeship should ultimately do.
Not just help us become better at a job.
But help us become a little better at learning, reflecting, adapting and working with people.
I started the programme as an apprentice.
I completed it with a qualification.
But I'm leaving it with something I value even more:
the determination to remain a learner.
And wherever the next chapter takes me, I think that's worth carrying forward.
If you're currently completing an apprenticeship, I'd love to ask you one question:
What is your apprenticeship teaching you about yourself that isn't written anywhere in the apprenticeship standard?
And if you've already completed yours, what lesson has stayed with you the most?
— Dami
DEE3CONCEPTS — Always Ready to Serve.
Building knowledge. Creating opportunities. Supporting growth.

No comments:
Post a Comment